|Applique in the hoop|
When I decided to make the quilt, I played around with lots of blocks but finally decided to make my own five patch chain block leaving me a large alternate block for the applique flowers. I had intended to applique flowers in all of the blocks, but decided that a quilting design would be much better and make the quilt "lighter". The blocks were pieced and borders added. I then quilted all of the straight line quilting through the middle of the small blocks, around the red border and finished with hooped quilting in the print border. I then finished off the edges with piped binding. Next step was to hoop each plain block using the Bernina jumbo hoop. The applique designs were surrounded by stipple quilting which was stitched before the applique but in the same embroidery file. The border designs did not include the stippling and this was stitched after the applique was finished.
I finally decided that there needed to be more straight line quilting and I think that the closeups will show this, including a thread I hadn't noticed until I uploaded that particular photo.
A quick note - I used an assortment of batik fabrics for this quilt - approximately 20 greens and yellows with 40+ oranges and reds for the flowers.
|Alternate Block quilting which echos the applique design.|
|Closeup of the border applique designed to fit the edge triangles|
I hope you like this quilt.