I have procrastinated too long about showing some of the quilts and embroideries I have stitched over the last 30 years. I am now rectifying this and hope to add to my journal as quilts and creations are gradually completed. I have so many unfinished projects many of these used for teaching purposes. I have decided that after the last few years during which I have been unable to stitch as much as previously it is time to try and finish as many as possible.
I hope that you enjoy looking at some of my creations as I work through this pile! It may take some time.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Some fish

My husband loves fishing and with his friend spent many a day out on the water.  This is a wall hanging I made for him.  The background was a curved piecing technique I taught and these were some pieces left over from another project (another UFO).  The fish are all free motion embroidered/thread painted onto organza and then appliqued to the background.  The water reeds and seaweed featured several different dimensional techniques.  I finished the quilt with free motion quilting and some beading.

Another version

Finally another quilt.  This was an original variation of a drunkards path and was the first one I stitched before I was sidetracked when one of my class students asked if there was a way to do something similar but smaller.  The smaller quilt has already been posted and is a more traditional setting.
This quilt used 2 x charm packs, 1 x layer cake and a jelly roll.  I did add a monotone for the final border and used the leftover jelly roll strips for the piped binding.
It was a wonderful way to use the decorative stitches of my 830.  I chose a palette of approximately 9 thread colours and used the same decorative stitch for all of the pieces stitched onto each of the layer cake squares.  Some of the seams were stitched with just one decorative stitch whilst others were stitched with two rows.  All of the small straight edges leading into the curved sections were stitched with blanket stitching.  The ability to use the history for stitches made this so quick, well almost.
I finished the quilt by ditch quilting both sides of the sashing and border and then quilted the squares and borders by using the jumbo hoop.  The block and border designs are my own digitising.  Thanks Otto for the great photos.  As you can see he gets them lovely and straight (Not like my last lot - the floral visions version)

Monday, January 17, 2011

Something a bit smaller

Hi, I fell in love with these two designs from Embroidery Library With the ability to stop embroidering at any stage and resume when ever I came back, I placed two designs together and stitched these two panels using the 830 jumbo hoop and only one hooping for each panel.  I remember that one of the designs was over 190,000 stitches, the other a mere 182,000 stitches.  I starched my background fabric heavily, used iron-on fusible No Show Mesh (Floriani) and added a medium tearaway.  The designs stitched without any puckering or movement.  When I purchased the designs they were shown in one colour way with an alternate version.  I chose to use the alternate version but my way (again!).  Both embroideries were completed a while ago.  With my usual way of being side tracked, one cushion was completed at the time and the other sat there only needing the ruching to be made and the backing put on.  Finally this weekend saw both finished and out of my workroom.  I love these designs.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Floral Visions my way

It has been a while since I last posted.  I had not photographed the projects that were finished.  Still haven't for most of them but I decided this morning that it was time, especially with a new year just starting.  So here are the photos of my version of the floral visions quilt.  Stitched on my 830.  I also added some computerised quilting designs in the wide sashing between the blocks and around the centre medallion.  I finished these sashings with free motion echo quilting.  I decided to outline quilt the outer borders and finish these with stippling.  All of the blocks had the designs outline quilted and finally free motion quilted the background for the blocks.  I had a lot of fun designing different styles for these and again what a joy to quilt using my 830.  By the way for those who want, use the dual feed and reduce your foot pressure to 30.  Works like a dream.

With the New year, my daughter has finally set a date for her wedding so for the next months I will need to work on her dress.  Her phone call to tell me that she had changed her mind and that I would love the new dress style she wanted left me wondering what.  Here is a photo of the type of dress she wants.  I don't know how it will turn out, but here's hoping.  This will be quite a departure from the type of things I have made for a long time.  If I can pull it off she will look as gorgeous as the original in the photo.