Simon's Folly magazine with designs by Jenny Haskins inspired me to stitch this quilt. I began to stitch the quilt blocks immediately.
Late last year in a clean up I found a pile of fabrics (a lot of fabrics - you know when you see a fabric that you think might look good but... so you buy more?) Included in this stack of fabric were background fabrics cut into squares, wadding cut up all ready to go AND 1 embroidered block complete with decorative stitching and a partially stitched block. Hey, that is the first embroidered quilt I started! No wonder it didn't get very far - so many hoopings just for one block. However, I now have that wonderful Bernina 830 with a JUMBO hoop. So I started stitching again. I was able to put my blocks together, even add decorative stitching in many of them and reduced the hoopings mostly to 4 or 5. My machine ran hot. Because of the delay from start to finish with this quilt one of the larger blocks needed to have a seam in the background fabric as the overall quilt design kept changing. You really need to look to find it so that heavy quilting has paid off. It was wonderful to stitch the quilting at the end using that BSR, all free motion quilted using non-mark quilting. I used cotton/poly wadding. I piped all of the blocks with a pistachio coloured fabric, outline stitched the width of my 10D foot from the framing fabrics edges and then added a decorative stitch in the middle of the frames. I also added a piping to the binding.
It is also a quilt that measures 106" square - huge but I was very happy to see the rest of that pile of fabric finally added back into my stash.
|Block 1 with some of the border quilting shown|
|Fill in alternate blocks|
|Another corner block|
|Detail of corner quilting of the center medallion block|
I know now why it was called Simon's Folly!