I have procrastinated too long about showing some of the quilts and embroideries I have stitched over the last 30 years. I am now rectifying this and hope to add to my journal as quilts and creations are gradually completed. I have so many unfinished projects many of these used for teaching purposes. I have decided that after the last few years during which I have been unable to stitch as much as previously it is time to try and finish as many as possible.
I hope that you enjoy looking at some of my creations as I work through this pile! It may take some time.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Some of my earlier applique quilts


Most of my first quilts were either applique or stars.  I think the applique because it really is just an extension of hand embroidery and I had been teaching various embroidery techniques for many years before I began patchwork.  My first quilt was a hand appliqued and quilted Baltimore album and I have made quite a few including wall hangings for friends and commissions.  The following quilt is the second Baltimore I made, again hand appliqued and quilted.  A couple of the designs were from books by Ellie Seinkiewicz but the centre basket is mine.  When I had stitched the blocks, I went looking for the setting fabric and whilst I am not a great fan of blue, at the time it was the only fabric that I found that worked.  The framing strips were leftovers from a queen size lone star quilt.  This was finished in 1989.







Chris









No comments:

Post a Comment